Sunday, July 1, 2012

And Heaven Was Silent

Do you go through times when it seems God is not answering your cry? Are there days, weeks and possibly months when you do not hear from God for your personal life? Can you relate to the following men of God?

Abraham - Did not hear from God until he was 65, then there was a time when it was close to 15 years before he heard again. As far as we know, "heaven was silent" for those years. Most of the other times it was less time between God's speakings. 

Job - Before the trial, Job did not hear from God. Most of the trial was experienced before God spoke. The three friends spoke, as well as Elihu, but God was silent.


David
Psa 28:1  A Psalm of David. Unto thee will I cry, O LORD my rock; be not silent to me: lest, if thou be silent to me, I become like them that go down into the pit. 
Psa 30:12  To the end that my glory may sing praise to thee, and not be silent. O LORD my God, I will give thanks unto thee for ever. 

Psa 22:1  To the chief Musician upon Aijeleth Shahar, A Psalm of David. My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me? why art thou so far from helping me, and from the words of my roaring?

Jesus 
Mat 27:46  And about the ninth hour Jesus cried with a loud voice, saying, Eli, Eli, lama sabachthani? that is to say, My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me? 
Each of these went through a time of not hearing from God. Each of them went through crisis without being able to hear from God for themselves. As a number in scripture, I have gone through times when I could hear from God for others time after time, being accurate and life giving for them, and unable to hear from God for myself. For me, "heaven was silent".

This reminds me of a principle illustrated in Revelation. 
Rev 8:1  And when he had opened the seventh seal, there was silence in heaven about the space of half an hour.
Times of silence are to be guided by a principle. It is the principle of faith. God speaks, Faith is imparted, and the time of testing comes immediately afterword before the time of application comes.

As you go through those times when heaven is silent, reach back to before the quiet came and review what God has said, encourage yourself in the Lord by rehearsing in your own ears what He has promised. If you allow it, it will sustain you through the silence.

Also, a revelation of the character of God is also that which can sustain in the silent days, months or years.

It may be a test upon your faith or God putting His thumb in your back to go beyond faith.
  
1Co 13:13 And now abideth faith, hope, charity, these three; but the greatest of these is charity. In our small diagram we find that the outer court is the realm of faith, the Holy Place is the realm of Hope"My God, My God, Why has thou forsaken me". He went through this and was not answered as He had been at other times.

My prayer is that as you go through those times of silence you will trust and hope in His character and see, after a while, the greatness of your God.











No comments: